A well-crafted crown helps you maintain a healthy, happy smile despite damaged or imperfect teeth. Visit us right in Rock Hill and we’ll perform a thorough examination to determine if a crown is the appropriate option for your situation.
What is a dental crown?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped full coverage restoration placed over a tooth to restore its size, shape, and strength. A well-made crown helps you maintain a healthy, happy smile despite damaged or imperfect teeth. The dental crown is permanently cemented over the natural tooth, most of the time fully encasing the visible portion of the tooth.
Why do I need a crown?
Your dentist at Culp Dental may recommend a crown for the following reasons:
To strengthen a tooth broken with a large filling when there isn’t enough tooth left to hold the filling
To attach dental bridges
To restore a broken (e.g. chipped or cracked) tooth
To protect a weak tooth from breaking
To cover discolored or badly misshapen teeth
To cover a dental implant
How long do dental crowns last?
Generally, a crown will last for approximately 15 years. Although, with proper care crowns can last 30 years or even longer. The lifespan of a tooth crown also depends on daily oral hygiene habits as well as normal wear and tear.
About the Dental Crown Procedure:
A traditional dental crown procedure will require two office visits.
- An impression or x-ray of the affected tooth or teeth will be taken.
- The dentist will trim the tooth; removing the outer layer and filing down the tooth.
- A second impression will be taken to ensure the crown will fit the newly shaped tooth.
- A temporary crown will be placed to keep the tooth safe while the permanent, custom crown is made.
- On the second visit the dentist will remove the temporary crown and cement the permanent crown to the tooth.
Interested in scheduling a consultation at our Rock Hill, SC dental clinic? Call 803.324.2921 now.